How to Pick the Best Bicycle Helmet for Your Child?
All cyclists need to wear a protective helmet when they are out on the road, bike path, or mountain trail, but this safety equipment takes on a new level of importance when it comes to the topic of children. It is no secret that children can be quite prone to mishaps that lead to all kinds of bumps and bruises.
Bike injuries can also be quite common with young people. This fact adds emphasis to the importance of wearing a bike helmet. Current statistics demonstrate that children from the age of five through young adulthood are the cyclists most prone to bike-related injuries.
As much as sixty percent of bike injuries are sustained by young people in this age range. Statistics also show that serious head injury risks can be reduced by as much as eighty-five percent when a child is wearing a high-quality bike helmet.
These points illustrate why it is important to emphasize the importance of wearing a helmet to your child. Some things that you can do to encourage the use of a helmet include:
- Start them wearing a bike helmet from an early age
- Make sure that you are setting a good example by wearing a helmet when you go out cycling
- Allow your child to help in the process of picking out a bike helmet
As has been established, bike helmets are important for young cyclists. Picking out the best bicycle helmet for your child is also highly important. Some key considerations include:
- It is important to choose a bike helmet that is the right size for your child
- Choose a helmet that has a safety sticker from the Consumer Products Safety Committee – CPSC.
- Make sure you are choosing a bike helmet that is designed for kids
- There are specific helmets that are available for children that are age two and under